Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blog Assignment 3

man scared of his computer



A Vision of Students Today

I felt this video was very accurate. The main thing that differs for me is the work hours. I work about 8 hours a day rather than 2. Yet, at the same time I am only taking 2 classes rather than a full load. It is hard to find time to fit everything in. According to the video we use twenty-six and a half hours of a twenty-four hour day. That definitely would tend to catch up with a person.

One thing that really caught my attention was how only eighteen percent of teachers know students by name. I know for me if a teacher doesn’t know my name I am more willing to be lazy in a class. If the teacher takes time t o get to know my name and face I feel more liable. I get a guilty feeling if I miss class or am late on an assignment rather than not really worrying when a teacher has no clue if I’m there or not.


It’s Not about the Technology

I completely agree that if there is not good teaching then no matter how much technology you put in the classroom it won’t be effective. We should be being taught to incorporate these things into our teaching skills now. It seems that in the future using technology in the classroom is going to be a must. How do we better prepare ourselves, and how do the teachers who have been teaching for numerous years prepare themselves?

I feel that not only is it important to have good teachers, but it is important to have consistent teaching throughout each school. It is hard for a student to spend all year learning one teacher and then the next learning another. Teachers should build on technology just as they do on math, reading, science, ect.


Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

I like how Mr. Fisch compared not being able to read or write to being technologically illiterate. I have never looked at it that way, but these days it is very true. How can we expect the students we are teaching to be able to become successful in the future if we are not preparing them? We know that technology is not slowing down, so how can we feel good as teachers if we are “not good at computers”?

Once again I sit here and think how I can incorporate these things into my field of Physical Education. Is it necessary for me to be technologically literate? Do I need to worry about all of the issues that this presents? It is seriously becoming clearer to me that it is really important. I want students to get the most out of their education so I don’t think it should stop in the P.E. classes. We should include technology as much as possible.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Ashley!
    I completely agree about the video "A Vision of Students Today". It seemed extremely accurate to me too. I also think you're right about teachers knowing students names. If the teacher doesn't really care, it can have the same effect on his or her students. I feel like if a teacher actually takes the time to get to know his or her students, or at least know them by name, students will be more willing to show up to class, mentally and physically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I know for me if a teacher doesn’t know my name I am more willing to be lazy in a class. If the teacher takes time t o get to know my name and face I feel more liable. I get a guilty feeling if I miss class or am late on an assignment rather than not really worrying when a teacher has no clue if I’m there or not." Do you really mean that you feel no sense of personal obligation to take responsibility for your learning. What will you think of your students if they behave that way in your classes?

    Do you really intend to argue that if you have a bad teacher but good technology no learning can take place. If so, I would beg to differ. It might not, but I personally know that it can. If fact, excellent learning can take place with a horrible teacher and very little technology. I know. I have often learned a lot under those conditions!

    Here's a great PE teacher for your to follow on Twitter: @mrrobbo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Strange,

    Of course I take responsibility for my learning. For one, I have no choice but to take responsibility for my own education because only sixteen percent of my teachers will actually know my name. I was just stating that for me I do better in a class when a teacher makes an effort to get to know my name and my face. That is my personal preference, and I see myself being a teacher like that in the future. I want my students to have a face to face relationship with me.

    I just think it is important that we are trained in a proper way to incorporate technology into our classrooms. Maybe they are learning something, but what is going to better prepare them for the future? Knowledge? Or the know how?

    I didn't see an assignment next to Gary Hayes' Media Counter.

    ReplyDelete